Friday 2 October 2015

Stamps from Packaging Foam

The first of three posts for today.

I received a parcel recently with some grey packaging foam, and as I took it out, it bore a striking resemblance to a piece of foam I bought at a craft show ages ago, called a “Magic Stamp” which you are supposed to warm up with a heat gun and then press onto something textured. This makes a stamp which you can use as many times as you want, and when you want to make another one, you just warm it up again and repeat the process.

I thought I’d try warming this packaging foam and see what happened – nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Here is the stuff I used for my little experiment.

You can see the “Magic Stamp” on the left – the blue block in the plastic bag. Next to it is a twist of kitchen paper with some pistachio nut shells in it that I saved ages ago to use in art, which I thought might make an interesting texture.

Then the stamp I made, and my heat gun. Front row: packing foam blocks, the stamping I did on a scrap of card, and a distress ink grabbed at random.

01 Materials

Here is the stamp I made. I could have warmed it more and pressed it harder onto the nuts, but the result came out OK!

02 Stamp

The stamping. After stamping twice, I cleaned off the stamp by pressing it several times onto the card to give a softer impression, then wiped the stamp over the edges of the card.

03 Stamping Results

04 Stamped Piece

Definitely some potential here! I am thrilled that this foam, which I was about to throw away, is going to come in really handy! I think it will also be a useful asset once I finally get going with gelli printing.

Shoshi’s motto: never throw anything away until you’ve thought about whether you can make art with it!!!

1 comment:

  1. That's great use of the packing foam, Shoshi! I wonder if you can reheat it to make a different design, like with the magic foam? I've tried something similar with regular craft foam - I used an iron to heat it and then pressed my stencils/rubber stamps into the foam to make texture plates for the gelli plate. A bit fiddly (and dangerous, I almost burnt the house down!) but it does work to some extent! I tend to hang on to junk for crafting as well - the problem is lack of storage for me. I threw away a lot of junk back in the summer, now I have to build a (carefully and sensibly selected) new collection! Love your prints! Will defo work on the gelli plate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...