Friday 17 July 2015

Gold Seahorses Birthday Card

Today I made another card from my gold seahorses masterboard.

01 Finished Card

A fairly simple card – just a matter of a bit of matting and layering and the addition of a sentiment, and some work on the inside.

Here is the original masterboard.

21 The Completed Masterboard

The base of the card was a piece of heavy white cardstock trimmed and folded to 5 1/2 inches square. I inked it lightly with Peacock Feathers distress ink, using an Inkylicious Ink Duster, and matted and layered the trimmed masterboard piece and a square of gold mirror card to create the card front. The matting and layering was at 1/8 inch intervals.

I had a rummage in my stash and found the stamped sentiment on a piece of smooshed ink background – not sure what project that was originally for, or whether it was perhaps a practice piece – but despite the colour being different, it looked good on the card, so I decided to use it. It needed a bit of trimming, and not wanting to waste any scraps, I saved them for embellishing the inside of the card. I stuck the sentiment piece down with double sided tape and added a few doodled lines with a gold gel pen.

The stamp is a clear sentiment stamp which came from my original collection of stamps when I first started out, and I didn’t keep the packaging so I have no idea what it is. I had used a small pigment ink stamp in dark purple to stamp this sentiment, and I repeated it inside the card, which had also been inked with Peacock Feathers distress ink with an Inkylicious Ink Duster.

02a Card Inside - Blurred

I laid out the trimmed pieces until I was happy with the layout, along with a small piece of trimmed masterboard – I did not cut the square for the card from the edge of the masterboard but a little way in, so that I could get the best of the seahorses. I adhered the pieces into the inside of the card using double sided tape, and added a bit of doodling with a gold gel pen, as before.

I made the envelope using my We Are Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board, and stamped a single seahorse on the corner, which I heat-embossed in gold. The envelope was inked with Peacock Feathers distress ink and I used the same turquoise gel pen to address it, that I had used to write inside the card.

03 Card and Envelope

I took a small piece of masterboard and lined the envelope flap with this.

04 Envelope Llining

This card is made for someone who is an expert card maker. Every year I need to pull the stops out for such a discerning recipient, but this time it is a relatively simple card. I think the masterboard speaks for itself and doesn’t need a lot of embellishment.

Finally, here is a digital montage of the masterboard with the two cards I have so far made from it.

22 Two Cards on Masterboard

 

 

Today I updated my Gutless Bag Lady blog with a review of all the samples we picked up at the stoma open day last month. Full details on the “Products” page.

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty card. I quit making square cards because it costs more to mail them, here. Does your postal service charge more because they are square? I know, it's ridiculous . . . any reason to charge more money, right. Do visit me next week and get in on my Give-A-Way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooooow, how wonderfull is this card. Verry Great. The Collors are fantastic. Underwater feelig. I Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cards and it is amazing that they are all from one master board. I am sure the recipient will be blown away
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your seahorse master board came out beautiful, and you used it so elegantly in the stunning cards you made. Hope you have a peaceful, joyful and very blessed week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shoshi, thanks for the visit to mine. Love the way you've used the Masterboard, I very much approve.
    Think you are enjoying this technique. I was very sad to hear about Lily, such a lovely talented lady.
    Have a good week and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shoshi, thanks for sending me your link and for your best wishes for my trip. We had a great time! Just got back yesterday actually. Your cards are elegant. Just as you said, the master board really didn't need much embellishing. Love your attention to detail with the inside of the envelope! I took a peak at your faux leather as well and it looks really impressive! You're so creative! Wishing you more ladders and am sending big hugs your way :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...