Wednesday 22 June 2011

Computer Upgrade–Good News at Last

On the Sunday morning when I came down, I found that the computer had tried to reboot itself, and was showing the black screen and the bl***ing cursor again!!! At this point I threw in the towel and phoned Kevin. He said they’d gladly fix it for me, in his usual laid-back way – no problem!! My hubby took it in for me that afternoon.

I’ve just phoned to see if it’s ready for us to pick up tomorrow on our way through to Cornwall and he said all was well, and the problem was caused by a completely unexpected problem; after running numerous tests they’d consulted an HP forum and discovered that this particular model of laptop’s motherboard doesn’t support two 500GB drives! He’s replaced them with two 320GB ones (the largest it will support) and reinstalled Windows, and it’s going like a dream now.

I am really pleased that it’s nothing more complicated; some of these intermittent faults and problems that manifest themselves differently each time, can be very difficult to diagnose, and until a definite cause is found, very hard to treat (a bit like M.E.!!!) but in this case, the BIOS was struggling to boot Windows on a disc that it wasn’t properly recognising, and once the correct one was installed, there was no longer any problem.

I asked Kevin how much I owed him, and he said, “It’s the other way round! – I owe you a refund for the difference between the price of the hard drives.” I said surely I must owe him for all the work he’d done but he said no – again I told him my Wonderwoman home help charged more than he did!

So all being well, I shall have my computer back again tomorrow. I haven’t got my 1TB disc capacity, of course, but perhaps I was being a bit greedy – 600GB total is plenty, I’m sure! Video does take up such a lot of space though…

Hopefully this will be the end of the saga, and within a day or two I should have everything back on, and be running normally again, which will be a relief – I’ve got a lot to do and have missed having the ability to do graphics work over the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...